- VIDEO: Prologue Saturday Highlights
- Montagny Banned for Two Years over Cocaine Use
- PHOTOS: Paul Ricard Saturday Gallery
- Paul Ricard Saturday Notebook
- Eversley Wins Chaotic St. Petersburg Round 3
- Porsche Dominates Prologue Test at Paul Ricard
- ESM’s Sharp, Brown Turn First Laps in Ligier JS P2
- Spectator Dies in Nissan Crash at Nürburgring
- Avenatti: “This is Our First Entree into the FIA WEC”
- Eversley Splashes to Pole at St. Petersburg
ORECA Announces New LMP2 Coupe for 2015
- Updated: December 10, 2013
ORECA announced Tuesday that it will build an all-new closed-top LMP2 car for 2015, while also providing updates to its existing cost-capped open-top prototype next year.
The French constructor has started the design phase of the Oreca 05, which is scheduled to hit the track for testing by the end of next year. The car will utilize the same tub as the new ORECA-built Rebellion R-One LMP1 car, which will compete in next year’s FIA World Endurance Championship.
“The ORECA 05 will be a radical change compared the previous car because it will have a closed cockpit,” ORECA President Hugues De Chaunac said. “But our design office is working to include innovative solutions and to set itself apart from concepts that are present today. We want to gain momentum on all levels, with a global approach to technical and marketing strategies.”
The new LMP2 car will be eligible for the WEC, European Le Mans Series, Asian Le Mans Series and the new TUDOR United SportsCar Championship through the end of the 2017 season, at a minimum.
“This car will be completely new and our objective is to continue the momentum begun by the ORECA 03,” said technical director David Floury. “With the ORECA 05 in 2015, we want to take the next big step, by offering a car that’s even more reliable and with greater performance.”
ORECA also confirmed that it will be offering an update to its existing LMP2 contender for next year, which will be called the Oreca 03R.
“The ORECA 03 has reached a certain level of maturity,” Floury said. “The goal of the ORECA 03R is to capitalize on this base, and to implement the technical feedback provided by the 10 teams who have race the ORECA 03, all while maintaining a cost cap.”
Further details on both cars are expected to be released in the coming weeks.