- Rees Completes Larbre Lineup for 24H Le Mans
- 40 Entries for COTA
- VIDEO: Silverstone WEC Race Replay
- Continental Tire IMSA Spotlight: Trent Hindman
- Bortolotti: Blancpain GT Title the “Absolute Priority” for Lamborghini
- Jamin to Make PWC Debut in ANSA KTM X-Bow GT4
- VIDEO: Brundle on Visit to Beijing, Meeting Jackie Chan
- Bonanomi Replaces Kimber-Smith at PR1/Mathiasen for COTA
- Cadillac Yet to Declare Driver Pairings for VIR
- Ford, Ferrari Evaluating Evo Kits for 2018
Engel Sets New Lap Record in Macau FP2
- Updated: November 18, 2016
Inaugural FIA GT World Cup winner Maro Engel has blown the Guia Circuit GT lap record away in a dominant last minute display of precision and performance in his Mercedes-AMG GT3 at Macau.
Engel, who had struggled in day one practice and had not featured strongly in the majority of Friday’s session, put in two fast laps in the last five minutes, undercutting the GT lap record on each occasion.
His best time, at 2:17.153, was a full 1.02 seconds faster than Audi’s lead driver, Edoardo Mortara, who had dominated the majority of the session.
The two Audi R8 LMSs of Mortara and Laurens Vanthoor established themselves at the top of practice from the outset and held that position right until a red flag for stricken Irish driver Richard Lyons whose Porsche made light wall contact damaging its front right suspension.
When practice resumed, Engel embarked on what he later termed “a mega lap.” “My team has totally turned the car around since yesterday,” he said.
Six drivers representing the works teams of Mercedes-AMG, Audi and Porsche are all under the circuit lap record.
RESULTS: Free Practice 2