- Korean GT Enduro “Race123” Postponed
- Heinemeier Hansson: “LMP2 is the Place to Be”
- Cairoli Set for GTE-Am Effort With Dempsey Proton
- Janco Confirmed in Duqueine Le Mans Cup Effort
- WRT Confirms Blancpain GT Entries
- Inside SRO’s BoP System
- GAINSCO/BSR Readies for PWC Season
- PHOTOS: Sebring Test Gallery
- Sebring Friday Notebook
- Taylor Ends Sebring Test On Top
Mercedes-AMG to Build GT4 Car
- Updated: December 5, 2016
Mercedes-AMG will expand into the GT4 market, having confirmed plans to build a new car based on the newly launched Mercedes-AMG GT R road car.
The German manufacturer made the announcement during last weekend’s end-of-season awards dinner in Stuttgart, with a specific timeline for the car’s debut has not yet been released.
“The development of the Mercedes-AMG GT4 is another important step in the continuing expansion of our Mercedes-AMG motorsport program,” said Mercedes-AMG Chairman Tobias Moers.
“The excellent feedback of our Customer Sports teams concerning the AMG GT3 and the increasing interest for GT4 race cars strengthened us in our decision.
“We are delighted to address an even larger target group of amateur and professional drivers and teams in the future with it.”
The GT4 car will be based on Mercedes-AMG’s new track-ready GT R, which features a 4.0-liter twin-turbo V8 that produces in excess of 550 horsepower on the road.
It’s an evolution from the Mercedes-AMG GT production car, which the GT3 car is derived from.
Mercedes-AMG joins BMW and Ford in having recently confirmed GT4 programs, joining the more than dozen automakers and small-volume manufacturers that already offer GT4 cars on the market.