- Kaffer Rejoins Risi for 24H Le Mans
- Alegra Enters Long Beach, Eyeing Full-Season Effort
- Sandberg Amongst Reiter Young Stars Drivers
- PHOTOS: Monza Thursday Gallery
- Monza Thursday Notebook
- Calado: “I’m in a Better Position to Win Races”
- Serra, Stanaway Complete AMR Lineup For First Three Races
- ART to Support McLaren Entry in GT4 European Southern Cup
- Buhk Headlines GruppeM Lineup for Blancpain GT Asia
- Porsche Completes 30-Hour Test at Paul Ricard
Academy Motorsport Confirms British GT, GT4 Series Campaign
- Updated: February 7, 2017
Academy Motorsport confirmed its plans to enter both the British GT Championship and GT4 European Series Northern Cup on Tuesday.
The team announced its intentions to run in both series last November, but has now confirmed this, as well as its driver lineup of team principal Matt Nicoll-Jones and Will Moore.
The pair will race an Aston Martin Vantage GT4 in both British GT and the GT4 Series Northern Cup this year, returning to full-time competition after a brief hiatus in 2016 that only included two race outings.
After winning the 2015 British GT GT4 teams’ championship in 2015, the Worcestershire, England-based squad only entered the Silverstone British GT and Zandvoort GT4 Series rounds last year.
“It’s great for the team to be back racing again and we have a firm target of aiming for the title in both the British and European competitions,” said Nicoll-Jones of his target for the season ahead.
“I’ve personally missed the fun of going racing, it will be great to get back behind the wheel. Despite the weight disadvantage that a Silver-Silver graded pairing brings, I’m extremely confident that we can mount a title challenge in British GT.
“The GT4 European Series is more of a sprint format. We had a taste of that at its final round of last season at Zandvoort and loved it.”
British GT Championship manager Benjamin Franassovici added: “It’s great to have Academy back in the British GT fold after a year away.
“Will made a big impression during his maiden GT campaign with the team and Vantage GT4 in 2015, and with a year of GT3 experience under his belt I expect he and Matt to be right at the sharp end this year.
“It’s a very strong Silver pairing.”