- Van Der Linde Declared Race 1 Winner after Post-Race Penalties
- CJ Wilson: “I’m Making Up For Lost Time”
- Revised WEC TV Broadcast Team Announced
- Second GT4 Porsche for RN Vision STS
- Algarve Pro Confirms 24H Le Mans Lineup, SO24! Deal
- Atherton: No Plans to Performance Balance LMP3, MPC Cars
- Quaife, Case Confirmed in AF Corse Ferrari for Sprint Cup
- BMW Team France Confirms Two-Car Entry for GT4 Southern Cup
- Lago Wins Race 2 at Albert Park
- Tony Quinn Makes 100th Australian GT Start
Mancinelli Takes Shock Pole for GT Race 1 in St. Pete
- Updated: March 10, 2017
Daniel Mancinelli has claimed a shock overall pole for Saturday’s Pirelli World Challenge GT/GTA/GT Cup season opener on the streets of St. Pete.
The 28-year-old Italian, in his PWC debut, took his GTA class TR3 Racing Ferrari 488 GT3 to a quick lap of 1:13.953, outpacing the likes of Pierre Kaffer and defending GT champion Alvaro Parente for top qualifying honors.
Mancinelli was 0.037 seconds quicker than the No. 4 Magnus Racing Audi R8 LMS of Kaffer, who claimed the GT class pole, also in the German’s first series round.
The No. 9 K-PAX Racing McLaren 650S GT3 of Parente was third, followed by the repaired No. 61 R. Ferri Motorsport Ferrari of Alex Riberas in fourth.
Patrick Long completed the top-five overall in the No. 58 Wright Motorsports Porsche 911 GT3 R.
A red flag halted the session with less than five minutes remaining, and did not restart, due to an accident by Jorge De La Torre in the No. 04 Aston Martin V12 Vantage GT3.
Neither of the GT Cup class competitors set times in qualifying, with the No. 77 Calvert Dynamics Porsche 911 GT3 Cup car still undergoing repairs from Preston Calvert’s accident on Thursday.
The No. 43 RealTime Racing Acura NSX GT3 of Ryan Eversley, meanwhile, also missed qualifying as the team waits on spare parts.
The first GT/GTA/GT Cup race of the weekend gets underway Saturday at 9:35 a.m. ET.