Connect with us

FIA WEC

Kubica Stands Down from ByKolles Drive

Robert Kubica stands down from ByKolles drive in WEC…

Photo: Vision Sport Agency

Photo: Vision Sport Agency

Robert Kubica has stood down from his planned full-season drive in the FIA World Endurance Championship with ByKolles Racing, the Pole announced on Tuesday.

Kubica, who was due to share the wheel of the German squad’s ENSO CLM P1/01 NISMO with Oliver Webb, had yet to turn laps in the revised LMP1 Privateer entry after it sustained various issues at the Prologue in Monza earlier this month.

The team packed up early on Sunday following a rear wing failure. Prior to that, the car completed only six laps, with Webb at the wheel.

“After the Prologue, I have decided to interrupt my racing program with the ByKolles team in LMP1,” Kubica said in a statement on his Facebook page. “Therefore, I will not take part in the upcoming WEC Silverstone opening round and in the other WEC races.

“It has been a hard decision to step down and so lose the opportunity to join such a challenging and competitive championship but I hope this will not be a definitive goodbye.”

The Formula One race winner made headlines late last year when he tested the team’s then AER-powered LMP1 car in the Bahrain Rookie Test.

ByKolles has yet to confirm its revised lineup for this weekend’s season-opening Six Hours of Silverstone, which as of now, currently only has Webb listed in the LMP1 Privateer entry.

Former Rebellion Racing driver Dominik Kraihamer, as well as Pastor Maldonado were also on hand with the team at Monza but have not yet firmed up possible plans.

John Dagys is the founder and Editor-in-Chief of Sportscar365 as well as the recently launched e-racing365 Web site for electric racing. Dagys spent eight years as a motorsports correspondent for FOXSports.com/SPEED Channel, and contributes to other publications worldwide. Contact John

7 Comments

7 Comments

  1. Gaucherie

    April 11, 2017 at 12:50 pm

    To be honest, given that the car will probably burn to the ground in opening practice, they don’t really need a replacement. Kubica saved his reputation by running far away from this clownshoe operation.

    • Marco

      April 12, 2017 at 9:22 am

      On WEC site there’s now a Silverstone countdown header with a big flame covering Kolles car. ‘Cruel’ mishap, or they’ve had enough of their shenanigans….

  2. Mike S.

    April 11, 2017 at 1:14 pm

    Yeah DNF all year. Sad cause that is a cool car. How many times did that car catch fire last year?

  3. Luc

    April 11, 2017 at 1:49 pm

    I’d like to know the reason. But the team is an absolute joke. I really don’t understand why they participate. They will never amount to anything

  4. Matt

    April 11, 2017 at 7:37 pm

    The fires they’ve been having were all because of the AER though weren’t they? Rebellion ran year old engines to avoid problems and even then they had a number of failures. If the NISMO deal includes more than engines I could see them making a bit of progress, although I don’t expect them to be around once the rules refresh roles along. Funnily enough they’ve said multiple times they’ll sell these cars to anyone interested, like that would ever happen

  5. Luna

    April 11, 2017 at 7:48 pm

    ByKolles should be Bye Bye Kolles.
    Clowns.

  6. James

    April 12, 2017 at 6:54 am

    No wonder Nissan LMP1 engine

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

More in FIA WEC