- O’CONNELL: Miller Debrief
- Neveu (WEC): “The Baby Has Grown Up; It’s Up to Us to Make Him Run”
- Continental Tire IMSA Driver Spotlight: Jordan Taylor
- Boutsen Ginion Switches to BMW for Nürburgring 1000
- IMSA Makes $50,000 Donation to Official Charities
- Makowiecki: “The Goal is to Help Porsche Win the Championship”
- 41 Entries for Nürburgring 1000 Title Showdown
- 2015 ELMS Paul Ricard Test Date Confirmed
- Signatech-Alpine Targeting Move to FIA WEC in 2015
- Oreca 05 Still on Track for 2015 Debut
Michael Christensen Named Porsche Factory Driver
- Updated: November 27, 2013
Porsche junior Michael Christensen was named Wednesday as the manufacturer’s newest factory driver for 2014.
The 23-year-old Dane, who took part in this year’s Porsche Supercup, along with one-offs in the Rolex 24 at Daytona and Petit Le Mans, joins the growing list of works drivers.
Christensen began his relationship with Porsche in 2011 when he took part in the manufacturer’s youth development selection program. From there, he graduated to Porsche Carrera Cup Germany before moving into Supercup competition.
“It’s a dream come true. To compete as a Porsche works driver is the chance of a lifetime,” Christensen said. “I’ve learned so much as a Porsche junior thanks to the extensive support I have received, and I’ve developed as a race driver and a man.”
Porsche Head of Motorsport Hartmut Kristen added: “In the last couple of years he has exhibited many positive qualities and shown the personal development that we strive for in our junior program. He has matured into a real professional both on and off the track.”
Christensen officially becomes the 13th Porsche factory driver, although four of the drivers: Romain Dumas, Timo Bernhard, Neel Jani and Mark Webber, are expected to focus exclusively on the manufacturer’s LMP1 program.
Porsche has yet to confirm a return to the FIA World Endurance Championship in GTE-Pro, although they will be on the grid in the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship with a factory two-car squad run by CORE autosport.