Prost, Beche, Piquet, Senna Confirmed in Two-Car Rebellion Team

Photo: Clement Martin/Dunlop

Photo: Clement Martin/Dunlop

Rebellion Racing has confirmed a two-car full-season entry into the FIA World Endurance Championship, naming Nicolas Prost, Mathias Beche, Nelson Piquet Jr. and Bruno Senna as its four pro drivers for the pair of Oreca 07 Gibson LMP2 entries.

The quartet will be joined by two Silver-rated drivers, which will be confirmed at a later date.

Prost, Beche and Piquet have all previously driven fort the Anglo-Swiss squad in the past, while Senna makes the move from RGR Sport, having scored a pair of LMP2 wins with the Mexican team in the WEC this year.

“The team really has strived to get the most competitive lineup possible to challenge for the championship as well as winning Le Mans in LMP2,” Senna said. “Our job will be very tough with so many strong drivers and teams out there, but I’m very much looking forward to kicking things off.”

Tuesday’s news comes in addition to Rebellion’s previously announced commitment to the Tequila Patron North American Endurance Cup with one car.

The team is coming off a productive multi-day Dunlop tire test at Sebring, in preparation for the 2017 WEC season, which kicks off at Silverstone in April.

“We are very pleased to confirm our plans to enter two Oreca 07 LMP2 cars in the 2017 World Endurance Championship alongside our already announced entry with a single car in the IMSA North American Endurance Cup races,” said team manager Bart Hayden.

“We are also very happy that Nico, Mathias and Nelson will be driving with us again in 2017 and I would like to welcome Bruno to the Rebellion Racing Team.

“We were impressed with the Oreca 07 when we tested it in Sebring last week, it should be a good car to go for race victories and the Championship. We are putting together all the ingredients to run a strong campaign in 2017!”

The 2017 season will mark Prost’s ninth year with the team, having collected 17 LMP1 Privateer class wins and back-to-back Petit Le Mans victories in 2012-13.

“We have grown together over the years and it was clear to me that the right thing to do was to stay with Rebellion Racing in their challenge with the new LMP2 cars,” Prost said. “The competition in LMP2 is going to be very hard, but we will give everything to fight for all the races.”

Inaugural Formula E champion Piquet, meanwhile, is set for his first full-season campaign after taking part in selected rounds with the team this year.

“It’s going to be a big challenge for us in our first year with the new LMP2,” Piquet said. “I am looking forward to work with people I know from last year and to make a good championship together with the team and my teammates.”

Beche added: “The new car is fantastic to drive and the fight on the track is going to be fierce, that’s what makes us all excited.”

21 Comments

  1. BBlades

    December 20, 2016 at 10:51 am

    What’s the worst that can happen if you have Senna and Prost in separate cars and battling for the championship?

    • Olly

      December 20, 2016 at 10:53 am

      If they’re going up against Derani, Menezes/Lapierre, or a Brundle/Rast/Rusinov then things will be really exciting.

      • Hans Olterf

        December 20, 2016 at 2:42 pm

        I am hearing that Derani is gonna be in the yet to be announced 3rd Toyota P1 at Le Mans

        • Olly

          December 20, 2016 at 2:48 pm

          Oh yeah? I heard Sarrazin will be placed in the 3rd Toyota as well. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Duval with them too.

      • Jack

        December 20, 2016 at 8:38 pm

        Gustavo and rusinov are both gold now.

        • Olly

          December 21, 2016 at 12:15 am

          Correct you are.

    • N8

      December 20, 2016 at 11:01 am

      Haha!

      Tell me Mathias Lauda is going to be one of the silvers here!

      • NaBUru38

        December 20, 2016 at 9:45 pm

        And Mick Scumacher or Aurelien Panis in the other.

  2. Andres

    December 20, 2016 at 10:54 am

    Is there still a conflict between LeMans and Formula e this year? If so, you’ve got a couple drivers here who are affected.

  3. Luc

    December 20, 2016 at 12:36 pm

    Impressive line-up. Should be quick. Curious which silver drivers will join.

  4. James

    December 20, 2016 at 1:56 pm

    In terms of silvers, Mathéo Tuscher isn’t beyond the realms of possibility, providing he can do some funding still. Also reckon that Mr Thiriet may be involved with this effort, given that he wants to run in the WEC, but isn’t doing so with his eponymous team.

    • Olly

      December 20, 2016 at 2:04 pm

      Thiriet was also rumoured to be linked to Signatech Alpine.

      • KW

        December 20, 2016 at 2:31 pm

        Yes, as Menezes is now Gold-rated, they have to replace one of their 2016 drivers, and most likely Thiriet will replace Richelmi. My expectation is more to find two GP2- or GP3-drivers here, who are still Silver-rated – e.g. is Mitch Evans “Silver”?

        • Olly

          December 20, 2016 at 2:46 pm

          Probably, and I think so.

        • James

          December 20, 2016 at 5:26 pm

          Mitch is definitely gold, will have to pull up the driver ranking list to see some of the candidates.

          • Jack

            December 20, 2016 at 8:39 pm

            He is gold

  5. KW

    December 21, 2016 at 11:29 am

    I was just thinking about how to make the setting 100% perfect:
    Hire Mathias Lauda instead of Mathias Beche, take as Silver drivers Aurelien Panis and Pietro Fittipaldi, and last but not least:
    If you have Senna, Prost and Piquet in one team, you should also hire Ron Dennis as a team manager; he is currently available and has experience in this field of work 🙂

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *