FIA World Endurance Championship CEO Gerard Neveu says they will work to achieve an even balance of prototype and GT machinery in the 2018/19 ‘Super Season’, which is expected to feature a capacity grid.
The seventh season of the globe-trotting championship will see an influx of LMP1 and GTE-Am machinery, despite Porsche’s exit from top-level prototype competition that has led to a series of regulation changes.
Neveu indicated they will likely reach the self-imposed limit of 34-35 full-season entries, and potentially even being forced to turn away GTE-Am cars in order to maintain the class balance.
It would mark a notable increase over the 28 full-time entries that took part in championship last year.
“At the end the question is to obtain the balance between LMP and GTE,” Neveu told Sportscar365.
“The only thing we are sure of is the number of GTE-Pro in WEC: ten. That’s the only number we know. For the rest we have to find a balance.
“If it’s ten and if we say that [the total entry] is 34, it means between eight and ten GTE-Am is the maximum if you want to keep a balance between the prototypes and the GTE.
“For the ‘Super Season’ we are very excited. It looks like we will have a strong grid, so we are very optimistic.”
The entry list for the WEC, as well as the 24 Hours of Le Mans, will be revealed on Feb 9.
Following announcements of several new projects, including from Ginetta, BR Engineering and an expected ORECA-built LMP1 car for Rebellion Racing, Neveu is bullish for the season ahead.
“We knew since September that people would be potentially ready for the offer we have made with the regulations for the next two seasons,” he said.
“It’s not really a surprise, but the fact now that we start to see the car running, it starts to be from virtual to real, which is very good.
“Let’s see how it goes, but it looks very interesting.
“At the same time, and that’s also a reason why we are here, you know how much we pay attention to the new technical regulations in 2021.”