Less than three months after his serious accident at Lime Rock Park, Jorge De La Torre has returned to the Pirelli World Challenge paddock for the first time this weekend at Utah Motorsports Campus, with a target to back behind the wheel later this year.
The 25-year-old Mexican driver sustained seven broken ribs, a punctured left lung, broken clavicle, broken right hand and bruised left foot in his accident with Andrew Palmer on May 28.
While undergoing surgeries for his multiple fractures, De La Torre spent ten days in a Hartford hospital before beginning rehab at his home in Texas.
“It took a big hit, like a 360 on my life,” De La Torre told Sportscar365. “I’ve never been in that situation before.
“My goals are still the same and my ambition keeps on growing. But since I’ve started this whole situation, my main focus hasn’t been getting back in the car; I’ve got to get better to be better.”
De La Torre said he’s been pleased with his progress and, if all goes to plan, hopes return behind the wheel of his Aston Martin V12 Vantage GT3 for the season-ending round at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca in October.
“I’m still doing rehab right now,” he said. “My lungs have been pretty good; I’ve been able to run for a mile. In the beginning it was extremely difficult.
“So far it’s been hard and challenging as well. But it’s been good.
“I hope we can make it to [Laguna Seca] in October and get some racing going on before the season ends. And we’re completely good for next year.”
While planning to contest the entire SprintX series next year, De La Torre said the outpouring of support from the PWC and sports car racing community has helped him massively on his road to a full recovery.
“It’s been amazing,” he said. “The support has been great. I really appreciate everyone’s best wishes.
“I really do appreciate how tight the whole World Challenge community. I’ve gotten to know people I didn’t know in the past and it’s been great.”