Connect with us

FIA WEC

Pourchaire to Replace Vandoorne in Bahrain Ahead of 2026 Seat

Theo Pourchaire promoted to race seat by Peugeot; Frenchman to debut in Bahrain as Stoffel Vandoorne departs…

Photo: Javier Jimenez/DPPI

Theo Pourchaire will step up to join Peugeot’s FIA World Endurance Championship Hypercar squad in a full-time capacity in 2026, with the Frenchman getting an early debut by replacing Stoffel Vandoorne for the 8 Hours of Bahrain as the Belgian departs the team.

As previously reported by Sportscar365, current test and reserve driver Pourchaire was in the frame for a promotion to a race seat amidst increasing speculation linking Vandoorne to the Genesis Magma Racing LMDh program.

On Thursday, Peugeot confirmed that Pourchaire will form part of its driver lineup for the 2026 season, but will join the driving crew for the No. 94 Peugeot 9X8 in Bahrain to replace Vandoorne.

The Belgian’s contract is set to expire following the 6 Hours of Fuji at the end of the month, which coincides with his expected departure from the Maserati MSG Team in the ABB FIA Formula E World Championship.

Vandoorne first joined Peugeot’s Hypercar squad as a reserve driver in 2023, getting an early race outing in that year’s Fuji round to stand in for the injured Nico Mueller before stepping up to a full-time race drive in 2024 and simultaneously racing for sister Stellantis brands DS and latterly Maserati in Formula E.

He was part of Peugeot’s recent podium finish at Lone Star Le Mans, where he battled through a rain-soaked race to finish third.

“On behalf of Team Peugeot TotalEnergies, I would like to thank Stoffel for his professionalism, commitment, and all the experience he has shared with us over these two years,” said Peugeot technical director Olivier Jansonnie.

In his place, Pourchaire will step up from his role as reserve driver, having most recently driven the 9X8 during a test at Circuit of The Americas earlier this week.

The 2023 FIA Formula 2 champion, who has also competed in the NTT IndyCar Series, made his prototype racing debut earlier this year as part of Algarve Pro Racing’s LMP2 effort in the European Le Mans Series.

“I am super happy;  thank you to Team Peugeot TotalEnergies for making my dream of becoming a professional racing driver come true, and thank you to everyone who has supported me,” said Pourchaire.

“I am proud to represent Peugeot, a brand with a rich motorsport history that has won the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

“I can’t wait to take the start of this legendary race in the top category behind the wheel of the Peugeot 9X8.

“I am delighted to make my race debut in Bahrain alongside Loic and Malthe, on a track I really enjoy and where I’ve already had great success in Formula 2 and karting.”

In addition to Vandoorne, at least one other driver is set to depart Peugeot’s roster of Hypercar drivers as the brand also confirmed the signing of Nick Cassidy earlier this month.

Mikkel Jensen and Malthe Jakobsen are likely to be the most in-demand drivers from other manufacturers, with both thought to be potential targets for McLaren’s Hypercar effort when it debuts in 2027.

Paul di Resta, meanwhile, has a long-standing relationship with United Autosports, the team that will run McLaren’s top-class prototype program.

Davey Euwema is Sportscar365's European Editor. Based in The Netherlands, Euwema covers the FIA World Endurance Championship, European Le Mans Series and Fanatec GT World Challenge Europe powered by AWS, among other series.

Click to comment
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

More in FIA WEC