Ginetta has confirmed that its pair of Manor-prepared G60-LT-P1 Mecachrome LMP1 cars will not start tomorrow’s Total Six Hours of Spa, with the British constructor not having released the cars due to non-payment.
A statement released by Ginetta explained that the absence of payments from major backer Talent Racing Sports (TRS) to entrant CEFC TRSM Racing has prevented the two cars from making the grid.
As previously reported by Sportscar365, concerns were raised when neither cars completed more than an installation lap during each of the free practice sessions. Both cars also did not set qualifying times on Friday afternoon.
The statement, released shortly after the conclusion of qualifying, said that “the required funds for Ginetta were due some time ago and whilst we understand that TRS (China) has been working with its sponsors to sort the issues, without payment, Ginetta cannot allow the cars to race.”
At the same time, it confirmed that Ginetta “remains committed” to working with Manor going forward.
Le Mans Status Unclear
ACO Sporting Director Vincent Beaumesnil declined to comment when asked Sportscar365 if Manor’s non-start at Spa will affect its entries for next month’s 24 Hours of Le Mans.
Beaumesnil indicated that Le Mans entries are at the discretion of the ACO Selection Committee.
Ginetta, meanwhile, has affirmed that the situation is “a short-term cash flow problem” and that “the main funds are in place for payment before Le Mans.”
“We’ve got to a situation where a U.K.-based team with excellent ability, kit and personnel, plus a pair of the latest LMP1 cars with confirmed and fully paid up entries for the 2018-19 WEC are unable to race simply due to funds not flowing,” Ginetta Chairman Lawrence Tomlinson said.
The team’s withdrawal leaves potentially a seven-car grid in LMP1, following a violent accident in qualifying by Pietro Fittipaldi that’s left the No. 10 DragonSpeed BR Engineering BR1 Gibson questionable to start tomorrow.