Chevrolet could be represented in the GTE-Pro class of the FIA World Endurance Championship next year, if a plan between Wayne Taylor and Larbre Competition’s Jack Leconte comes to fruition.
Taylor confirmed to Sportsar365 that he’s in talks with the French squad to potentially field a new Corvette C7.R in the globe-trotting championship next year for son Ricky, and possibly Jordan Taylor as well.
“We’re trying to see if we can formulate a plan to run a GTE-Pro car in the WEC next year,” Taylor told Sportscar365.
“It would be with Ricky or it could be with both. It’s a little bit up in the air. There’s a few things that have to fall into place.”
The two team owners met last weekend at Circuit of The Americas, and Taylor has given a deadline of Oct. 31 to put the deal together for the all-pro entry, which could also feature other Corvette factory drivers.
Taylor said they’re currently in discussions with Konica Minolta for the proposed full-season WEC joint effort but reaffirmed WTR’s commitment to the IMSA WeatherTech Championship next year with both Ricky and Jordan and their Corvette DP.
Larbre currently campaigns a 2014-spec Corvette C7.R in the GTE-Am class of the championship and had been known to be evaluating a move to GTE-Pro, which will see the introduction of new regulations and the arrival of Ford next year.
One of the potential holdups could be the schedule, with two conflicting dates between the WeatherTech Championship and WEC next year.
The WEC season-opener at Silverstone is set for April 15-17, the same weekend as Long Beach, while GTLM cars have been added to the Lime Rock Park weekend in July, which clashes with the WEC round at the Nürburgring.