Super GT veteran Joao Paulo de Oliveira has announced that he will not return to Nissan’s driver lineup this year.
The 37-year-old Brazilian, who has competed in the Japanese sports car series with the manufacturer since 2006, announced his departure via social media on Thursday.
De Oliveira becomes the third Nissan Super GT driver to leave the program in recent weeks, following the exits of Lucas Ordonez and Alex Buncombe who also saw their decade-plus spells come to an end.
“After 13 years of racing for Nissan in Super GT, it is time to end this chapter,” said de Oliveira.
“So many incredible memories were made and friendships that will last a lifetime.
“I will cherish the rewards, take the positives with me and focus on starting the next chapter now.”
De Oliveira, who is FIA platinum-rated, added that he has not yet lined up any potential programs for 2019.
“It’s not an ideal position to be in at this timing, but I will stay positive,” he said.
“Challenges always spark a fire inside of me and to be fairly honest, I haven’t felt this way in a while.
“I’m looking forward to what the future will bring with an open mind and the confidence that I can make the difference wherever I will go.”
De Oliveira’s record includes nine race victories and second place in the 2015 standings with Hironobu Yasuda, while he also took several wins in a parallel Japanese Super Formula career.
He finished 14th in the Super GT points last year with Kondo Racing co-driver Mitsunori Takaboshi, while his most recent victory came in 2016.