- Bonanomi Replaces Kimber-Smith at PR1/Mathiasen for COTA
- Cadillac Yet to Declare Driver Pairings for VIR
- Ford, Ferrari Evaluating Evo Kits for 2018
- Prestige/WTR Confirm Lamborghini ST Driver Lineups
- Double Stint: Monza Recap, Kenton Koch Interview (4.25.17)
- New Nissan GT-R NISMO GT3 Breaks Cover; Begins Testing Program
- Jacques, Pierre Nicolet Headline Eurasia 24H Le Mans Lineup
- Ginetta Open to Future Evolutions of LMP1 Car
- Johansson Returns to Driving in Scuderia Corsa Ferrari for SprintX
- Morad Joins Dalziel in CRP Mercedes for SprintX
Bonanomi Tipped for PR1/Mathiasen Drive after COTA Test
- Updated: April 14, 2017
Former Audi LMP1 driver Marco Bonanomi has been tipped to make his IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship Prototype class debut, after testing with PR1/Mathiasen Motorsports this week at Circuit of The Americas.
The 32-year-old Italian, who made three starts in the 24 Hours of Le Mans from 2012-15 in Audi R18s, took part in the two-day test alongside Jose Gutierrez.
Team owner Bobby Oergel downplayed Bonanomi’s role, telling Sportscar365 that “as of right now, he just did the test with us.”
Gutierrez, who sat out the Long Beach race, is due to return to the team for next month’s race at COTA, and is scheduled to complete the remainder of the season except for the Detroit and Canadian Tire Motorsport Park races.
Newly signed United Autosports driver Will Owen, who made his LMP2 race debut last weekend at Long Beach alongside Tom Kimber-Smith, meanwhile, could fill a seat for CTMP but has been ruled out for Detroit, due to its clash with the Le Mans Test Day.
Bonanomi has one WeatherTech Championship start to his credit, driving an Audi R8 LMS for Fall-Line Motorsports at the Sahlen’s Six Hours of The Glen in 2014.