- Record Field Set for Australian GT Season Opener
- Sebring Wednesday Notebook
- PHOTOS: Sebring Wednesday Gallery
- Sebring: Still Crazy After All These Years: 1969
- Continental Tire IMSA Spotlight: Pato O’Ward
- 34 Full-Season Entries for 24H Series
- Wilzig Confirmed in Performance Tech Ginetta LMP3
- Davison Rejoins TRG for St. Pete PWC Season Opener
- Norma M30 Tests at Pau Arnos, First Photo Released
- Beaumesnil: “No Mountain to Climb” for DPis in LMP1 Privateer
Ford GT Deliveries Begin
- Updated: December 16, 2016
The first road-going version of the 2017 Ford GT rolled off the line on Friday, marking the beginning of production for the American supercar.
In a new, low-volume assembly facility at Multimatic in Markham, Ontario, Raj Nair, Ford executive vice president, global product development, and chief technical officer, marked today’s milestone by driving a Ford GT off the assembly line.
It came nearly a month following the conclusion of the race car’s first year of competition in the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship and FIA World Endurance Championship, where it achieved class wins in both series, including at the 24 Hours of Le Mans.
“When we kicked off 2016, we had two primary objectives for our Ford GT supercar – to excel at Le Mans, and to start deliveries before year-end,” says Nair. “We’ve achieved both.”
“For everyone involved in designing and developing this car, including all of our employees and suppliers, this is a moment to celebrate.
“The all-new Ford GT is a showcase of our strength in innovation and our commitment to delivering more for our customers – especially related to light-weight materials, aerodynamics and EcoBoost engine technologies.”
The Ford GT was unveiled at the North American International Auto Show in January 2015. Less than two years later, Ford Performance is now delivering the first cars to customers around the globe.
The FIA gave Ford a waiver to race this year, having failed to reach the minimum 100 production cars produced by the last race of the WEC season in Bahrain last month.