- PHOTOS: VIR Weekend Gallery
- No Further Action on SprintX Race 1 Results
- Dalziel, Morad Win SprintX Race 2 Under Yellow
- Team Parker Wins Rockingham as Spirit of Race Penalized
- SprintX Race 1 Results Under Review Due to Timing Error
- Jamin Sweeps GTS Weekend at VIR
- Vanthoor, Sofronas Stripped of GT Pro-Am Class Win in Race 1
- VIR Sunday Notebook
- Spirit of Race Provisionally Wins at Rockingham After Bizarre Ending
- Rockingham Weekend Notebook
Updated Road to Le Mans Format Revealed; Extra Race Added
- Updated: February 17, 2017
The Road to Le Mans race will return for its second running, but with the event expanding to include two 55-minute races on the weekend of the 24 Hours of Le Mans.
As part of the Michelin Le Mans Cup, Road to Le Mans was first held on the morning before the French endurance classic last season, but following the success of the inaugural running of the GT3 and LMP3 race, the event is set to expand this year.
A total of 46 cars will be allowed to take part in this year’s event, up from 42 entries last year.
Teams competing in the full Michelin Le Mans Cup season, which runs in support of five of the six European Le Mans Series rounds, will be automatically entered for Road to Le Mans.
Entrants wishing to take part only in the Le Mans rounds will have to pay an entry fee of €15,000 plus tax. The selection committee will prioritize entries from ELMS, Asian Le Mans Series and the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship.
The first of the two Road to Le Mans races will get underway at 5:30 p.m. on Thurs, June 15, while the second will start at 11:30 a.m. on Sat, June 17, before the 24-hour race takes the green at 3 p.m.
There will also be two 60-minute free practice sessions on Wed., June 14, followed by two 20-minute qualifying sessions on the following day.
Each car will have a two-driver lineup, and the minimum driving time for each driver is 20 minutes. The mandatory pit stop must take a minimum of 60 seconds.
Platinum-rated drivers will not be permitted to take part and each car must have at least one Bronze-rated driver. The second driver can either be Bronze, Silver or Gold-rated.