Connect with us

FIA WEC

Manor Ginettas Withdrawn Due to Funding Issues

CEFC TRSM Racing withdraws from Total Six Hours of Spa…

Photo: MPS Agency

Ginetta has confirmed that its pair of Manor-prepared G60-LT-P1 Mecachrome LMP1 cars will not start tomorrow’s Total Six Hours of Spa, with the British constructor not having released the cars due to non-payment.

A statement released by Ginetta explained that the absence of payments from major backer Talent Racing Sports (TRS) to entrant CEFC TRSM Racing has prevented the two cars from making the grid.

As previously reported by Sportscar365, concerns were raised when neither cars completed more than an installation lap during each of the free practice sessions. Both cars also did not set qualifying times on Friday afternoon.

The statement, released shortly after the conclusion of qualifying, said that “the required funds for Ginetta were due some time ago and whilst we understand that TRS (China) has been working with its sponsors to sort the issues, without payment, Ginetta cannot allow the cars to race.”

At the same time, it confirmed that Ginetta “remains committed” to working with Manor going forward.

Le Mans Status Unclear

ACO Sporting Director Vincent Beaumesnil declined to comment when asked Sportscar365 if Manor’s non-start at Spa will affect its entries for next month’s 24 Hours of Le Mans.

Beaumesnil indicated that Le Mans entries are at the discretion of the ACO Selection Committee. 

Ginetta, meanwhile, has affirmed that the situation is “a short-term cash flow problem” and that “the main funds are in place for payment before Le Mans.”

“We’ve got to a situation where a U.K.-based team with excellent ability, kit and personnel, plus a pair of the latest LMP1 cars with confirmed and fully paid up entries for the 2018-19 WEC are unable to race simply due to funds not flowing,” Ginetta Chairman Lawrence Tomlinson said.

The team’s withdrawal leaves potentially a seven-car grid in LMP1, following a violent accident in qualifying by Pietro Fittipaldi that’s left the No. 10 DragonSpeed BR Engineering BR1 Gibson questionable to start tomorrow. 

Daniel Lloyd is a UK-based reporter for Sportscar365 and e-racing365, with a focus on the FIA World Endurance Championship and various electric racing series.

5 Comments

5 Comments

  1. Blaneysellstrashbags@Ring24

    May 4, 2018 at 11:39 am

    I will be interested to see if there is anyway Dragonspeed can have that car on the gris tomorrow. That was a nasty hit.

  2. JaymondoGB

    May 4, 2018 at 2:09 pm

    To be honest I am surprised Ginetta doesnt let them race, they wont sell any more chassis with them sitting in the garage under lock and key. However, Manor does have history with money issues.

    • N8

      May 4, 2018 at 2:49 pm

      If this money never comes through, and say they end up writing one of the cars off, then they’re REALLY in financial trouble and the whole program is probably in question.

      What happens if your ACO entry includes the name of your sponsor, then the cease to be your sponsor?

    • Andrew

      May 4, 2018 at 3:35 pm

      Yeah, there’s NO way you’d let the cars out on track without payment. Someone has to pay for those hours on the chassis and engine, without payment Ginetta is taking it all on the chin. Everyone involved in racing understands that and no one would fault Ginetta for not allowing the cars out and not buy a car from them for that reason.

      It’s not like Ginetta hasn’t done the same before in GT racing. I believe they impounded and later seized modified G40s in their series due to teams illegally modifying the cars

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

More in FIA WEC