Fernando Alonso has downplayed his recent comments that hinted towards a possible switch to the FIA World Endurance Championship, stressing that he remains 100 percent focused on his career in Formula One.
The Spaniard said in a tribute video to Mark Webber, played during last weekend’s WEC awards night in Bahrain, that he was disappointed Webber didn’t “wait” for him in the WEC and that he would ask “many things” when he joins his “adventure.”
The video message prompted speculation from other media outlets that the two-time World Champion had already inked a deal with Porsche, potentially for as early as 2018, claims that Alonso denied on Thursday in Abu Dhabi, site of this weekend’s F1 season finale.
“It’s nothing new what I said in that message, which has become quite famous right now,” he told FOX Sports’ Adam Cooper.
“I’m committed to F1 100 percent next year here with the team, and then in the future it’s no doubt that it’s a very attractive challenge, and very attractive thing to do, the 24 Hours of Le Mans, for me. Because I like the category, I like the cars, and as I said, it’s a good challenge.
“But that future, I don’t know if it means two years’ time, in five years’ time, or 11 years’ time. I don’t know yet. It’s nothing new. The first thing that I want to do and I will do is to win the third World Championship in F1, and then I see.”
Alonso made a guest appearance during the 2014 WEC race in Bahrain, five months after serving as the honorary starter at Le Mans.