- Lamborghini ST Heads to Watkins Glen for Rounds 3 and 4
- Continental Tire IMSA Spotlight: John Pew
- Koch Joins Performance Tech for Watkins Glen
- Porsche Testing 2017-Spec 911 GTE Car at Monza
- Double Stint: Weekend Recap; Peter Cunningham Interview (6.28.16)
- Blancpain Sprint Cup Set for Nürburgring Debut
- Von Moltke Completes Magnus Lineup for Watkins Glen
- Chaves Rejoins DeltaWing for Watkins Glen
- SMITH: Paul Ricard Debrief
- Newly Repaved Watkins Glen Gets Rave Reviews
8Star Evaluating Pirelli World Challenge Program
- Updated: April 17, 2014
On the heels of Dyson Racing’s announcement of a factory Bentley GT3 program, another top-level sports car outfit could soon be headed to the Pirelli World Challenge as well.
Sportscar365 has learned that 8Star Motorsports is evaluating a potential PWC program, which could put orange-colored Ferrari 458 Italia GT3s on the grid in the sprint race championship later this year.
“We have a big team and need to look at other areas of racing in the U.S. as an alternative so we don’t have all of our investment in the TUDOR Championship. We can’t depend on only one series,” team owner Enzo Potolicchio told Sportscar365.
Potolicchio’s Florida-based squad currently fields a Prototype Challenge car in the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship and recently ordered a new Ligier JS P2, which is still on track to debut at Road America in August, for a three-race program this year.
The two-time Ferrari Challenge champion, who is kicking off 8Star’s GTE-Am title defense in the FIA WEC this weekend in an AF Corse-prepared Ferrari F458 Italia, says he has customers interested for the team’s potential expansion to PWC.
“Obviously with my experience in GT racing and my Ferrari Challenge days, I have a lot of friends that do GT,” Potolicchio said. “That’s an obvious next step who has not done it before.
“We have meetings here in Silverstone with Michelotto. We have that option. It would make the most sense to do a Ferrari unless we get approached by another another manufacturer wanting to do something.”
Potolicchio has targeted a debut by the end of the year, in order to prepare for a full-season assault in 2015.