Connect with us

FIA WEC

Interlagos Return Confirmed for 2019-20

FIA World Endurance Championship announces return to Interlagos for 2019-20…

Photo: MPS Agency

The FIA World Endurance Championship will return to Interlagos, having confirmed a date for the 2019-20 season.

The announcement, made Thursday in Sao Paulo, confirmed that the Brazilian grand prix venue has agreed a “multi-year deal” to host the six-hour race.

As reported by Sportscar365 last week, the event will run during the 2019-20 campaign, rather than the upcoming ‘Super Season’ which runs from May to next June.

Championship bosses were joined at Thursday’s press conference by members of the Brazilian Motorsport Federation and Nicholas Duduch, CEO of promotion agency N Duduch Motorsports.

Reigning WEC LMP2 champion Bruno Senna, who was announced as the official race ambassador, was also present.

“This is very good news not only for the huge number of extremely passionate and loyal Brazilian fans of the WEC, but also for the championship’s competitors who love to race on the legendary Interlagos circuit,” said WEC CEO Gerard Neveu.

“Our return to South America has been something we’ve been working towards for several years now, and our thanks must go to Nicholas Duduch and his organisation for their hard work to make it happen, with the support of the city of Sao Paulo.

“Together with the whole FIA WEC paddock and our partners, we’re now looking forward to being back in Brazil in 2019-20 and for a great event.

The 15-turn, 2.667-mile Autodromo Jose Carlos Pace had played host to WEC events from 2012-14 but dropped off the calendar due to financial difficulties associated with then-promoter Emerson Fittipaldi.

A round at the Nürburgring replaced Interlagos in 2015, although Neveu stressed a desire to return to Brazil in the future.

The date of the 2019-20 event has yet to be determined.

“The return of the FIA World Endurance Championship to Sao Paulo is very good news for the many Brazilian motor sport fans and is fully supported by the FIA,” said FIA president Jean Todt.

“The history and heritage of this great country, which is so passionate about all forms of motor sport, has always included the discipline of endurance racing.

“A return by the FIA WEC to Brazil enables us to continue to bring our sport to audiences around the world.”

Daniel Lloyd is a UK-based reporter for Sportscar365 and e-racing365, with a focus on the FIA World Endurance Championship and various electric racing series.

16 Comments

16 Comments

  1. Carl Liebich

    March 22, 2018 at 11:33 am

    Why would any series choose to race at Interlagos after the criminal incidents that occurred during the F1 race in November? Why choose to hold an event at a location that puts fans and participants at risk?

    • Jenner

      March 22, 2018 at 12:45 pm

      F1 races in a lot of 3rd world nations also.

      It’s all about the $$$$. If Brazil, Russia, or whoever puts up the money, they will race there. Fans are a very small consideration it seems when it comes to where a race series races.

      Look at the French GP. It’s home to the FIA and they haven’t race there in years.

      • GR88

        March 22, 2018 at 2:30 pm

        Many would say the US is now too dangerous to visit. Rampant gun crime and unstable politically.

        • MAGA

          March 22, 2018 at 3:28 pm

          Yes, because I was robbed and shot at in both in Daytona and Sebring.

          When I go to Mid-Ohio I am always instructed on which taxis are safe to get into etc.

          You’re an idiot

          • Andy Flinn

            March 22, 2018 at 5:02 pm

            MAGA, Sebring is very dangerous.

            If you’re not careful, a drunk could fall out of the back of a jacked-up pickup truck and land on you.

            I partied in Green Park on Friday night. Ok, until early Saturday morning.

            Never once did I feel unsafe.

          • Jenner

            March 22, 2018 at 5:11 pm

            I think Jenson Button would say Interlagos is dangerous.

            He had an undercover officer driving him and his wife and they still got held up by gunpoint.

            I know Detroit is dangerous, ask Scott Dixon.

            Idiot.

          • Idiot

            March 23, 2018 at 7:55 am

            Comments from another site…seem to echo the same concerns around safety at Interlagos

            http://www.racer.com/wec-le-mans/item/148234-sao-paulo-returns-to-wec-calendar-for-2019-20

    • Fernando

      March 22, 2018 at 3:26 pm

      by his logic, it is better not to send his son to school in the USA because he can come back shot. Idiot.

      • Just Saying

        March 23, 2018 at 9:34 am

        Fernando…thanks for the non sequitur…if you don’t make informed decisions regarding where you send your children to school and/or where you travel, then I suggest you are the idiot.

  2. AudiTT

    March 22, 2018 at 2:27 pm

    One of the best tracks in the world for drivers and spectators. Looks great on TV too.

    With so many South American drivers in the series, I’m sure it will be very popular.

  3. sunset bend

    March 22, 2018 at 4:12 pm

    So many South Americans? Senna, Serra, maybe Pipo. Who else?

    • Rob Lomas

      March 22, 2018 at 4:51 pm

      Augusto Farfus, Andre Negrao, Fernando Rees, Pastor Maldonado & Jose Maria Lopez. Pietro Fittipaldi and Tony Kannan can also be added if we are counting drivers who aren’t doing the full season.

      • Travis McBee

        March 22, 2018 at 7:21 pm

        Not José María, he’s Argentinian, not Brazilian.

        • Rob Lomas

          March 22, 2018 at 7:47 pm

          Sunset Bend said South American drivers, not just Brazilian. If we are counting just Brazilain Drivers, then that discounts Pastor Maldonado as well

          • Travis McBee

            March 23, 2018 at 3:47 pm

            Right, my bad.

  4. Mazda Greg

    March 26, 2018 at 8:04 pm

    Does this open up talks again about trying to bring the WEC to Mexico or COTA. As one of the few faithful who attended all the COTA events, I can’t imagine the money spended just for a South American trip. If the WEC is to be successful they must have some presents in the US and a strong base in Europe. How can you expect local govrnments to keep suppling the funds for these events without getting something in return.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

More in FIA WEC