The future of Nissan’s LMP1 program is being decided this week in Japan, with high-level executive meetings following a challenging debut in the 24 Hours of Le Mans.
Multiple industry sources have confirmed to Sportscar365 that the meetings could decide whether the Japanese manufacturer will continue with its planned two-year program with its current specification GT-R LM NISMO.
Nissan debuted three of the radical front-engined, front-wheel drive cars at Le Mans last month and struggled with pace and reliability issues.
While one car took the checkered flag, it was not classified at the end due to spending more than one-third of the race in the garage. All three cars ran with its hybrid systems deactivated due to persistent issues.
Nissan President and CEO Carlos Ghosn admitted, during a press conference at last month’s Formula E race in London, that the program is under evaluation.
“Nissan has always been associated with innovation,” Ghosn said. “We made an attempt that did not prove fruitful. We must reassess the strategy.
“We wanted to be different and competitive but we’ve only been different.”
A Nissan spokesperson told Sportscar365 that it’s “business as normal” for the LMP1 team, with the U.S.-based operation preparing for a test at Circuit of The Americas on July 27-28.
The team is expected to roll out with updates to the car at the test, including revised bodywork, suspension and brakes.