The GTE-Pro class will not continue into the 2023 FIA World Endurance Championship season, following the decision by the FIA and ACO to wind down the production-based ranks into a single GTE category next year.
Confirmed during Friday’s annual ACO press conference, GTE-Am will be the only eligible GT class next year, prior to the arrival of a single GT3 class in 2024 that will be Pro-Am enforced.
ACO President Pierre Fillon previously told Sportscar365 that a minimum of four full-season entries were needed to keep GTE-Pro alive for a final season, which has not materialized.
Both Porsche and Ferrari will be moving its factory programs to the Hypercar class in 2023, with Corvette Racing the only GTE manufacturer that had expressed hope of competing next year.
It means this weekend’s 24 Hours of Le Mans will be the last scheduled appearance for full factory GT cars with all-pro lineups in the French endurance classic.
“Next year we will keep just GTE-Am,” FIA Endurance Commission President Richard Mille told Sportscar365. “Ferrari is coming to Hypercar and Porsche as well. This is why we decided to not have GTE-Pro anymore.
“There was nobody in the end.
“This is fine because we’ve seen the grid in GTE-Am is improving and increasing. So it’s a good signal for what we want to do in the next GT category.”