Connect with us


Race Resumes at Six-Hour Mark

Total 24 Hours of Spa resumes just before six-hour mark…


After a red-flag period of almost an hour, the Total 24 Hours of Spa resumed just before the six-hour mark.

The race was halted after five hours following an accident involving the No. 333 GT Corse by Rinaldi Ferrari 458 Italia and the No. 111 Kessel Racing Ferrari 458 Italia.

Kessel Racing driver Marcus Mahy was airlifted to a local hospital with his condition stabilized, while Tim Mullen was reported to be conscious after his heavy crash in the No. 101 Von Ryan Racing McLaren earlier in the race and meanwhile has been released from the hospital.

Andrew Howard was also discharged from the hospital, while nothing is known on the condition of Vadim Kogay (No. 333 Ferrari).

The race got restarted behind the safety car right before the first points were awarded at the six-hour mark.

The No. 3 WRT Audi of Christopher Mies, Frank Stippler and James Nash was in the lead at that time, followed by the No. 26 Saintéloc Audi and No. 84 HTP Motorsport Mercedes.

However, Mies was one of the few drivers to dive into the pits after the red flag was shown, with his WRT pushing him back in the box, while the rest of the field lined up on the grid and at the back of the circuit.

That resulted in a drive through penalty, which Mies immediately served, while still under safety car conditions.

WRT also managed to move up its championship contending No. 1 car one position to P4 (which equals an extra point), by pitting the one-off No. 2 car at the earliest opportunity.

The No. 66 Marc VDS racing BMW Z4 GT3 lost seven laps after hitting the No. 11 Kessel Racing Ferrari in the back at one of the restarts, while both Bentleys fell back through the field with brake issues (No. 7) and a damaged track rod (No. 8).

RESULTS: After 6 hours

Vincent Wouters (@VinceWouters) is a Belgium-based sports car racing reporter, providing coverage primarily of the Blancpain GT Series.

Click to comment

More in BES