The Bahrain International Circuit will play host to the FIA World Endurance Championship for at least three more years, following a deal reached last week that extends the contract through 2017.
The Six Hours of Bahrain, which has been on the championship’s calendar since its launch in 2012, will additionally be the exclusive FIA WEC event in the Middle East.
“We are very happy to confirm that we have extended the agreement with the BIC for an additional three years and the 6 Hours of Bahrain will be the exclusive event in the Middle East,” FIA WEC CEO Gerard Neveu said.
“Bahrain is the perfect place, with its superb facilities, for the winter test and, of course, for the race.”
BIC Chief Executive Shaikh Salman bin Isa Al Khalifa joined Neveu and Audi factory driver Benoit Treluyer at a press conference in Manama last week to launch this year’s event.
The race, scheduled for Nov. 13-15, will serve as the penultimate round of the season and is set to run under the lights for the second consecutive year.
“This endurance spectacle is a very unique event that has the potential to be a favorite amongst motorsport fans here in Bahrain and across the world,” Shaikh Salman said.
“We had an unbelievably exciting pair of races the past two years in Bahrain, and I am confident that this year’s event will be even more memorable.”