Connect with us

FIA WEC

Lotterer Confirmed at Caterham F1 for Spa

Audi factory driver Andre Lotterer to make F1 debut this weekend at Spa…

Photo: Caterham F1

Photo: Caterham F1

Caterham F1 made it official Wednesday, confirming that FIA World Endurance Championship front-runner Andre Lotterer will make his Formula One debut in this weekend’s Belgian Grand Prix.

As previously reported by Sportscar365, the 32-year-old German will replace Kamui Kobayashi for the round at Spa-Francorchamps.

“I’m ready for this challenge and I cannot wait to jump in the car and make the most out of the weekend ahead,” Lotterer said.

“I really enjoy racing at the legendary circuit of Spa-Francorchamps, it’s one of my favorite tracks and it’s very close to where I grew up, so this makes the weekend even more special and one to remember.”

The three-time Le Mans winner and 2012 FIA WEC champion received permission from Audi Sport to make his surprise F1 debut, 12 years after serving as a test driver for the now-defunct Jaguar squad.

Lotterer will become the first driver since Yannick Dalmas to have won the 24 Hours of Le Mans outright and also take part in an F1 race in the same season. Dalmas achieved that feat in 1994.

Caterham F1, meanwhile, said in a statement that Kobayashi, who took part in last year’s FIA WEC season in an AF Corse Ferrari, remains part of the team.

It’s unclear if Lotterer is in line for additional F1 outings, although two of the remaining races clash with a round of the FIA WEC.

John Dagys is the founder and Editor-in-Chief of Sportscar365 as well as the recently launched e-racing365 Web site for electric racing. Dagys spent eight years as a motorsports correspondent for FOXSports.com/SPEED Channel, and contributes to other publications worldwide. Contact John

2 Comments
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

More in FIA WEC