The double-header final round of the Nürburgring Langstrecken Serie has been canceled after Germany’s announcement of tighter social restrictions to battle a rising spike in coronavirus cases.
An announcement on Thursday from the VLN organization which runs the NLS confirmed that the pair of four-hour races on Nov. 7-8 will no longer be going ahead.
The NLS had already canceled its penultimate event of the season that was due to be held last weekend because of COVID-19 testing difficulties for teams and event staff.
At the time, senior figures from the championship declared intentions to host the season finale consisting of the DMV Four Hours and the ADAC ACAS Cup race of equal length.
However, the German government’s announcement on Wednesday of a ‘partial lockdown’ lasting a month from Nov. 2 has resulted in the cancelation of the remaining rounds.
While sporting events are allowed to take place under Germany’s new measures, a statement from the VLN said the planned double-header event is “not feasible due to the current COVID-19 development and the associated measures to curb the infection rate.”
The 2020 NLS season is not set to resume after the completion of five races.
“We worked right up to the end to be able to hold our event with a hygiene concept adapted to the development of the pandemic,” said VLN managing director Christian Stephani.