An injury has forced Johannes van Overbeek out of this weekend’s Six Hours of Silverstone, with David Brabham having been announced late Wednesday as his sub for the FIA World Endurance Championship season-opener.
The 41-year-old Californian, who was due to share the wheel of the No. 31 HPD ARX-03b with Ed Brown and Jon Fogarty, has not been cleared to travel after breaking a rib last weekend.
“I was looking forward to making my second appearance in England, but I must follow the doctor’s orders and rest,” van Overbeek said.
“I broke a rib in a coughing fit on Sunday. Tried to take it easy for a few days, but I’ve been grounded by the doctor.
“I’ll be with the team in spirit and wish them all the best in the opening race of the WEC.”
Brabham, who drove for the Florida-based team on three occasions last year, has been a a late call-up and will complete the lineup in the No. 31 car alongside Brown and Fogarty.
“It was quite a surprise to get a call this close to the race,” Brabham said. “Scott explained the situation, and I feel for Johannes after having my own rib injury a couple of months ago racing in Australia. I know how much pain he is in.
“I’m honored to have been called up to help out Tequila Patrón ESM here at Silverstone, which isn’t that far from where I live. I’ll do the best I can this weekend.”
Brabham will be making his first race start since his serious accident in the Bathurst 12 Hour in February, which sent the veteran Australian to the hospital for observation.
“I’m back in racing form since my accident and have been training frequently,” he said. “I’m looking forward to driving with Ed again, and we’ll start the Tequila Patrón ESM WEC season off on the right foot.”